帖子

积分

金牌会员

积分
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2016-6-26 01:49:05 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |正序浏览 |阅读模式
An Article

Two decades ago I stood in the serene grounds of St Mary's Church, Ely drinking in the view of a corner of Oliver Cromwell's house. I imagined him standing there, within the 1630s, looking out the kitchen window in the ecclesiastical scene that dominated his view, and I began to wonder. I was born and reared in Drogheda, Ireland, the scene of Cromwell's most notorious and dastardly deed. Like schoolchildren are today, I used to be taught he killed the entire population of my property town, old men, widows, shopkeepers, teenagers, toddlers and babies.

It absolutely was summer. The pastoral scene in the beautifully manicured churchyard, together with the rustic tiled roof of Cromwell's house sweeping low towards the ground, and also the tall brick chimney rising up in the opposite direction via a flight. Just for a moment I used to be back in the 17th century. I became in Oliver Cromwell's world, well, as near as it is simple to get to him. He lived here. He walked on this very hallowed ground daily. He ate, slept and drank with this little unassuming street in Ely. Who had previously been this man really? Why did he arrive at my town to kill everybody? What possible circumstances might have made this gentleman Ray Ban outlet store Cambridgeshire farmer develop into an unarmed man, woman and child killer that will make my fellow countrymen hate and despise his name for ever more?

Twenty years later I've now found that Oliver Cromwell did not do these products. Yes, he located Drogheda and a massacre ensued. Nevertheless it was a battle inside a war. He would not deliberately touch the head of hair on the head associated with a innocent civilians in Drogheda, or indeed Wexford the following month. He committed no war crimes. She has been the main topics a vindictive and prolonged smear campaign and also the victim of your dreadful miscarriage of historical justice.

I am now hoping that wise practice will prevail which, we, the Irish nation should apologise to Cromwell, and the family for blackening his name over the Cheap Ray Ban UK centuries. He didn't undertake it. End of.

There were several things that forced me to be suspicious regarding the veracity of these stories of civilian atrocities. One of the primary things I did was to check the Drogheda municipal records from 1649. And lo and behold, there entirely living colour will be the names of hundreds of local people who survived the siege with the town unscathed. In order that it wasn't the entire population then?

I quickly began to review this ogre Oliver Cromwell. That's a simple meal because there are over 5,000 books

revealed the man and his times. However, it turned out Lady Antonia Fraser's tome Cromwell, Our Chief of Men that revealed the actual personality with the man. Here there wasn't any evidence of a liar plus a murderer of innocents. Ray Ban Wayfarer 90% off Here was not evidence of a brutal callous, inhuman monster. Here there were plenty of proof of a deeply religious man (similar to most other people living at the time) who was upright, honourable and extremely principled, with a lofty moral threshold. Oftentimes throughout his life he displayed revulsion when he heard of indiscriminate massacres of Ray Ban Sunglasses Discount civilians anywhere. It had been almost impossible to reconcile Lady Antonia's Cromwell towards the one that was likely to have damaged my ancestors and those of all of my neighbours. Methinks something inside the State of Denmark stinks.

There was clearly nothing for it but to remain to investigate further. Soon it became apparent that of all the people have been in both Drogheda and Wexford (where 3,000 and 1,500 civilians respectively were should have been slaughtered) there was no eye witness attestation that provided the details of civilian deaths whatsoever. This was huge.

Then in 1999 I published Cromwell, An Honourable Enemy, which was my first ever attempt at a historical narrative. The very first time ever Cromwell was being exonerated of war crimes. Many accepted my evidence, but naturally many more didn't. In Ireland the novel was almost universally dismissed. In great britain there was a lot warmer reception with it. But because I was an amateur historian most of the Cromwell experts took a broad berth of my assertions and refused to align their views with mine. Cromwell was a murderer of innocents. Full stop.

And so in the intervening Fifteen years many historians ventured into print to dismiss my theory. But thus far there has not been one serious or meaningful challenge. Within my new book Cromwell was Framed (out in August 2014) I take these

historians go on and blow their rebuttals of my work away from the water. I've destroyed their inept work for balance perpetuating the myth that Cromwell engaged in the deliberate slaughter of Ireland's innocents. He didn't. I have done only evaluate the primary source documentation and i also have published these documents for all those to see. It's all lies. The historians got it wrong. Touch mes amis. Revenge is best served cold.

And the next time I get back to Ely (later august) I will stand in the grounds of St Mary's Church in which the gravestones of yesteryear stand erect down the perimeter walls, and that i will yet again contemplate Oliver Cromwell the guy. I will imagine him staring out of the home of the kitchen window at me from a day inside the fens, or collecting tithes around the green outside his house. And i also will hope that they sees he who has rescued his reputation from your quagmire of history. And many poignantly, as we exchange glances, Hopefully he realises that we're from Drogheda, the place from where the erroneously reported events that destroyed his good name emanated. And then I will mouth the language, 'Sorry Oliver. We're so sorry.' and i also will await his reply

Ray Ban Wayfarer 90% off
Ray Ban outlet store
Ray Ban outlet online

http://www.rbwayfarersale.top
http://www.cheaprb90off.top
http://www.2016rbsunglassesoutlet.top

Ray Ban sunglassess discount
Ray Ban outlet sale
Ray Ban Sunglasses Discount
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

关闭

站长推荐上一条 /3 下一条

Archiver|手机版|翔迷社区[FlyFan Forum]  

GMT+8, 2024-10-8 13:46 , Processed in 0.154372 second(s), 24 queries .

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表